You WILL need Flash Player version 8 or higher for this website.

Go Back   StudioAuditions.com > The Gear > Microphones
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Microphones All Types & Techniques Covered

Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
cccsix
I'm Here, Now What?

Need help with Western Electric 639A

I have a Western Electric 639A microphone that I'd lke to sell but I have a few questions I need some expert help with.

1. Where could i buy an adaptor to convert from the 422a connector to an xlr connector so i can test it or where can i buy the jack to make an adaptor?

2. Should i have this mic professionally rebuilt/adjusted or is it more valuable to a collector as-is? Any recommendations on a shop to do the work?

3. Where could I find a buyer for a microphone like this?

4. I have the original mic stand and cable which sem to be in very good condition . Are these worth anything to collectors

Thanks so much!
cccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Alan Moon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccsix View Post
I have a Western Electric 639A microphone that I'd lke to sell but I have a few questions I need some expert help with.

1. Where could i buy an adaptor to convert from the 422a connector to an xlr connector so i can test it or where can i buy the jack to make an adaptor?
Front End Audio carries the Coles 4069 adapter which convert the old Western Electric / Altec, Coles, and STC connectors to XLR. Problem solved.

Quote:
2. Should i have this mic professionally rebuilt/adjusted or is it more valuable to a collector as-is? Any recommendations on a shop to do the work?
In my opinion, I don't see the value of a microphone that cannot be used. Frankly, I would recommend calling the fine folks at Audio Engineering Associates (AEA) in Pasadena, CA. Not only do they build just about the best ribbon microphones you can purchase, but they do some pretty incredible work on vintage and collectible mics. However, they specialize in RCA and Coles/STC repair. So, you should give them a call at 800-798-9127

Quote:
3. Where could I find a buyer for a microphone like this?
eBay? That's where I go typically when looking for vintage mics. Again, the folks at AEA might know someone who is crazy for excellent examples of these mics. However, there are little specialty shops here and there as well as individuals that are almost like a subculture. You almost have to be a part of it to know where to even begin. This is why I think that Wes Dooley at AEA would be a fantastic person to begin with.

Quote:
4. I have the original mic stand and cable which sem to be in very good condition . Are these worth anything to collectors
From what I have learned watching Antiques Roadshow (I don't ever set out to watch it, but when I come across it when flipping channels, I can't turn it off!) the mic is going to be worth TONS more as a complete set with the stand and cable. If there was a case or bag, then this would add even more to the collectibility of it, and thus, add more to the value at auction.

Quote:
Thanks so much!
You're welcome! I hope that this helps. Let us know if there is anything more that we can do.
Front End Audio Sells Gear
Tuesday Testers: Hear the Gear Shootouts
Product Videos on YouTube: Overviews of Gear

"Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology!" - IGGY
Alan Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
FranK Bold
I'm Here, Now What?

HELP for my western electric 639A

Goodmorning, I'm a sicilian (Italy) upright bass player of american 50's rock'n'roll and I'm a great vintage 40's-50's microphones lover. I got only few microphones (some Shure, one 44B RCA Junior velocity and a 639A Western Electric) because are so expansive (from Italy I must include shipping and duty tax!!!).
Yesterday, during a concert, my guitarist dropped my 639A Western Electric and unfortunately the shell/grill on top front is broken and the interior silk is torn. I think still plays but at the moment I don't want see it, ( .
Now I'm triyng on web someone that can help me to fix my (ex)wonderful microphone.
Please, if you can help me and know how can I do, PLEASE let me know.
BEST REGARDS, FranK

P.S. to CCCSIX: do you wanna still sell your mic?
FranK Bold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Alan Moon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranK Bold View Post
Goodmorning, I'm a sicilian (Italy) upright bass player of american 50's rock'n'roll and I'm a great vintage 40's-50's microphones lover. I got only few microphones (some Shure, one 44B RCA Junior velocity and a 639A Western Electric) because are so expansive (from Italy I must include shipping and duty tax!!!).
Yesterday, during a concert, my guitarist dropped my 639A Western Electric and unfortunately the shell/grill on top front is broken and the interior silk is torn. I think still plays but at the moment I don't want see it, ( .
Now I'm triyng on web someone that can help me to fix my (ex)wonderful microphone.
Please, if you can help me and know how can I do, PLEASE let me know.
BEST REGARDS, FranK

P.S. to CCCSIX: do you wanna still sell your mic?
Hello Frank!

I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune with your 639A Western Electric ribbon microphone.

For vintage ribbon microphone repairs, I would suggest contacting Wes Dooley at Audio Engineering Associates (AEA). Wes really is THE GUY for this kind of stuff and there really is no other resource when it comes to RCA microphones. AEA makes the best and routinely restores these microphones.

Check them out here: http://www.wesdooley.com/
Here is the service link: http://www.ribbonmics.com/aea/services.html

Hope this helps and that your microphone will see excellent health again!

Sincerely,
Front End Audio Sells Gear
Tuesday Testers: Hear the Gear Shootouts
Product Videos on YouTube: Overviews of Gear

"Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology!" - IGGY
Alan Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
FranK Bold
I'm Here, Now What?

Talking

ALAN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I'll see these websites.