You WILL need Flash Player version 8 or higher for this website.
  Black Lion Audio  

Go Back   StudioAuditions.com > The Gear > Monitors & Monitoring
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Monitors & Monitoring Monitors and monitoring. How are you listening to your mixes?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Keldog
Registered Member

Adam A7 + Yorkville sub

How do gents.
Since I was lookin at Front End for this sub, I figured this'd be the place to ask.

What do you think of pairing my A7's with the Yorkville YSS2 10" sub.
http://www.frontendaudio.com/Product...02612&CartID=1

My room is odd shaped (kinda like a really fat "L") and roughly measures 18' by 14' with a ceiling that slopes up to a little over 10' from just under 8'.
Superchunks floor to ceiling in the main 4 corners, cloud above my desk, another trap flushed with a wall and 4 bass traps along the peak of the ceiling.

I'm thinkin to leave my A7's at full range and just bring the sub in at just enough volume to fill out what the 6.5's aren't.
Set the sub at around 85hz, I think.

Think I'd be ok?

Moocho thanks
Kel
Keldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Alan Moon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldog View Post
How do gents.
Since I was lookin at Front End for this sub, I figured this'd be the place to ask.

What do you think of pairing my A7's with the Yorkville YSS2 10" sub.
http://www.frontendaudio.com/Product...02612&CartID=1

My room is odd shaped (kinda like a really fat "L") and roughly measures 18' by 14' with a ceiling that slopes up to a little over 10' from just under 8'.
Superchunks floor to ceiling in the main 4 corners, cloud above my desk, another trap flushed with a wall and 4 bass traps along the peak of the ceiling.

I'm thinkin to leave my A7's at full range and just bring the sub in at just enough volume to fill out what the 6.5's aren't.
Set the sub at around 85hz, I think.

Think I'd be ok?

Moocho thanks
Kel
This sub should at least work with the A7s, though I would not specifically recommend this one with the A7X since the output with the X series is much more powerful. I think that it's probably wise to consider the manufacturer-matched alternative, which is the ADAM Sub8. But I don't see why the Yorkville couldn't work

Though everyone can technically approach using a sub, to me using a subwoofer for mixing is a different technique than using one to simply add low end excitement for effect/enjoyment. I prefer to have a footswitch attached to activate it and deactivate it at will - simply to bring it in to check the bottom from time to time. Others may want to use it all the time. I find that the ADAM A7 can reproduce plenty of bottom end to give an accurate picture of how everything works together. However, there's that subharmonic stuff that sometimes can slip away from us if we miss filtering something. A sub can be really valuable for catching that stuff and really for maximizing your ability to fine tune the low frequency elements.

Does this help?
Front End Audio Sells Gear
Tuesday Testers: Hear the Gear Shootouts
Product Videos on YouTube: Overviews of Gear

"Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology!" - IGGY
Alan Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Keldog
Registered Member

Yeah Alan. Thanks.
Unfortunately, that probably means I have other issues goin on. Dammit.

See, on my latest mix, I tried a technique (that I've never thought of before ) that was lined out by a guy online that said to do multiple mixdowns with slight EQ cuts on each, normalize, limit and burn...trying to get louder mixes.

Cool, I did that and everything was good except the bottom. It wasn't boomy, just my bass guitar (tuned at 440) was waay louder than it sounded in my room. Sounded good in my room but when I put it in a car stereo with a sub, the bass was just outta line. Got me to the point of disgust. Back to translate issues. (sigh)

So I figured putting a sub in the chain would help me keep a reign on it.
I dunno.

I feel like I'm firing off a full clip and they're all blanks.

Thanks again man. I appreciate your time.
Kel
Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Alan Moon
Registered Member

Getting the low-frequency tuning correct in a room not designed by a acoustics expert or studio designer is going to be problematic. I really recommend maybe considering one of the Genelec DSP systems such as a pair of the Genelec 8240A DSP monitors with the GLM system. This system is nothing short of amazing. With it, you'll have basically the same woofer size, but the ability for the system to accurately analyze the response at the listening position via a single point analysis (none of this averaging nonsense that other systems do).

They make the Genelec SE Digital Triple Play System which combines specially designed "SE" components such as the 8130 monitors together with the Genelec SE7261A DSP subwoofer as a cost saving measure without compromising performance. The DSP in the subwoofer provides the control and network hub for the monitors instead of each component having redundant and cost increasing control. I really do like this system and it provides a very practical and long-term solution for many studios. Plus the implementation of the subwoofer (especially when combined with the DSP) also defeats many bass related issues in a room, anyway. The less the DSP has to do, the better it can hone in on specific little issues and get your system to respond more accurately.

The best part about Genelec's system is that the monitors still sound like Genelecs! The other third-party systems end up changing the character and the response of the monitors so that they sound completely different than normal, which really should not be the case. I found them hard to work with.

But I think that this is the best solution since the Genelecs WILL solve the issue. Plus, once you measure your room, we essentially have a "MRI-scan" of the room and can help to pin-point the trouble-spots that need addressing with specific acoustic treatments.

Thoughts?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Keldog
Registered Member

Thoughts?

Well, yeah. $4200 for a set of monitors in a hobby studio is a bit outta range, let alone the other one for $5500.

So I'll just keep goin on the trial n error til I figure it out.

Thanks for your time man.
Kel
Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Alan Moon
Registered Member

Sorry if the recommendations were off the chart for your budget. I've just dealt with the same issues previously and have tried similar solutions to what you're going for that have made some improvement, but have never completely solved the issue. You're finally able to reach the jar of pickles on the top shelf... but you're having to use an "Grip 'N Grab" instead of becoming Inspector Gadget (I know... I'm reaching on this one... no pun intended, but certainly welcome ). The Genelec systems not only solve the issue, but they improve everything else as well.

Time is money - even for a hobby studio where what was a hobby for others became a money maker and eventually a profession simply because they had the right tools for making well-informed decisions and that "luxury" gave them the opportunity to develop in a way that they couldn't have otherwise. It may not be important to you to develop a professional career out of your hobby, and that is perfectly fine! But you do this because it's fun for you. But there is a point where a roadblock like acoustics and monitoring take the fun out of it and you end up trying all kinds of things that never really work.... or they make a difference in the right direction and you say, "Ha! THAT fixed it!" only to discover that the "solution" for one problem, has created yet another one or maybe even more than one - which really gets confusing; it's simply shifted the issue and you're constantly chasing one problem after another. It's a total pain. So, I've been there and have come to the realization that there sometimes is not an inexpensive solution to the issue at hand. Honestly, when it comes to acoustics, the Genelec system is actually quite affordable compared to the other solutions which almost always involve construction.

The Genelec system is simply the shortest distance, most elegant (meaning not "kludgy" - and not meaning expensive just for the sake of expense) solution, and clearest path between two points. Granted, it's akin to building the Golden Gate bridge where a highway overpass may have sufficed to get you across a short expanse. However, the drive is so much more enjoyable on the Golden Gate... though, admittedly, the toll can be steep.

Anyway, I don't want to be the "sales guy" who tells someone what they want to hear just to sell something. If someone's budget can't bear the initial solve-it-all recommendation, then we'll recommend something that will give them the best solution that you can have for what they have to work with; but we won't blow sunshine just to make a sale - we'll be realistic about what they're going to get for their money.

Anyway, I hope this helps to explain my frame of mind in my previous response. Just trying to help solve your monitoring issues.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Keldog
Registered Member

nah, it's all good Alan.

And like I said, I DO appreciate your takin the time. The Genelecs just may be the ticket...
But with one income and a fambly .....well, you get the gist.

I'll just keep bangin away...figure out something.

Thanks again man.
Kel
Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Keldog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Moon View Post
If someone's budget can't bear the initial solve-it-all recommendation, then we'll recommend something that will give them the best solution that you can have for what they have to work with.
Well...you know roughly my budget ($300-ish)...what else comes to mind?

Would some pics of my room help?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Alan Moon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldog View Post
Well...you know roughly my budget ($300-ish)...what else comes to mind?

Would some pics of my room help?
That's pretty much it for choices right at the median. The KRK and the Yamaha subs are worth looking into, as well.

The only other thing I can recommend in the future is to add a second subwoofer. Crazy sounding, I know. BUT, placing one against your front wall off to one side and then another about midway back on the opposing side wall will defeat room nodes and anti-nodes. These are pockets in the room where a particular frequency will fold over on itself and either cancel itself out (node) or become additive upon itself (anti-node). Either one is bad. Having dual points of radiance helps to diversify the waves and therefore scatters the ability of the same wavelength from occurring in a troublesome fashion.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Keldog
Registered Member

The Yamaha looks pretty good. I'll look into that a bit more.

Kinda crazy on the second sub. Never even occurred to me. But it does make sense why. At least it does now.

Thanks again man...I'll do some diggin around on that Yammy.